Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sleep Problems and Solutions!

For the past seven months, every night I thank God that he has blessed David and me with William. I know more fully now what people mean when they say that children are a gift from God. And to top it off, William has been an incredibly easy baby. From the day we brought him home, he was a great sleeper, eater, and generally easy going.
He started sleeping in his crib in his nursery at about six weeks old, mainly because we thought it would help him sleep through the night. Dr. T told us that he was biologically ready to sleep that long, we thought the quiet might help. And it did! Soon after he was sleeping for longer periods, and by the time I went back to work on October 1st, William would go to sleep at 10pm and sleep until about 8am.
But unfortunately, the past month we have seen a regression.
William has been waking up more and more frequently in the middle of the night, and at times David and I have been so tired we have just put William in bed with us. As fun as it is to have a cuddly baby in bed, David and I were not getting the sleep we both needed.
It came to a head this week, when Wednesday night he refused to sleep in his crib at all, we have to go to sleep with him in bed with us to get any rest.
David and I couldn't take it anymore!
We had been reading No Cry Sleep Solution, and have been using it for a bit, but it hasn't helped as much as we would have liked. We have heard very mixed reviews about Dr. Ferber's Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems, and decided to give it a shot last night.
I must say, if you've read it, the case study about Betsy was like reading about William, so I was excited that it might offer some help. We followed the guide, letting him cry and self soothe for the given time before we went to comfort him.
It took us about an hour to get him to sleep last night, but it was nice to see him fall asleep on his own and not need David or me to rock him to sleep, only to have his eye come open the minute his back hit his mattress.
Today we tried it with naps, and with his first nap we put him to bed and he played with Rocky, his lovie, and fell asleep without ever crying. David and I were hopeful! For his second nap, he cried for about 30 minutes and then fell asleep. Cutting the time in half certainly made us feel good too,
Tonight, as I'm writing this, I have just finished putting William down. I gave him his night night bottle, then put him to bed with his boppy (paci) and Rocky. He cried for five minutes, then played with Rocky until he fell asleep.
It feels soooo wonderful getting my evening, and my bed, back! Hopefully we continue this trend. And three cheers for Dr. Ferber! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment